Mobiles & other stories


I've always had a crush for Charles and Ray Eames Dot pattern: the minimal design made of several different variations is very interesting. In a way, it reminded me of a series of mobiles so, I thought, why not trying to make one inspired by their work? You'll need:

- wooden spheres (I chose black because I had some at home);
- black metal wire (choose one quite thick - 2mm would be better - so the weight won't blend it);
- thin metallic wire;
- modelling clay (I used itin black but you could choose any colour);

First, design your mobile: you can use the Eames pattern as a source of inspiration. Cut the thick wire in different sizes according to the drawing. Then, fill completely the wooden sphere with the modelling clay and insert the wire inside: you can put just one sphere on each end or play with different weights. When all the elements are done, start assembling your mobile. Done! 

Now, MOBILE UP!

Origami book DIY instructions can be found here. Poster by Rk Design. Work lamp by Form Us With Love for Design House Stockholm.

___________________________________________

Thank you all for the lovely comments you left: I'm almost shocked by the response the mobile had! I hope to make you all happy sharing that the mobile has been chosen by  



For an addict to Scandinavia as I am, this is just so so amazingly great.
Thank you Tiger!

I also want to thank Emma Fexeus (the closest thing to an idol that I have in the blogsphere..) to have chosen the Eames inspired mobile as Pin of the Day.

You all make me so happy!

7 comments:

  1. Wuawww me encanta,
    siempre he querido hacer algo así,
    lista pendiente,
    éste es tu hogar? qué bonitooo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola! Estoy contenta que te guste: es super fácil, no te quitará mas de media hora si tienes las cosas en casa. Y si, eso es el piso donde vivimos: en realidad serìa el estudio con todavía el sofá-cama abierto desde que se vino mi madre.. haha!

      Has visto el mensaje del blog award? Has sido seleccionada! :)

      Elena x

      Delete
  2. me gusta anche a me! mi ricorda anche un po' le sculture aeree di Calder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara Barbara, grazie mille!

      Come mi piacerebbe avere una di quelle sculture! Mi accontenterei anche del poster della mostra di Calder di A way to Paris .. che peccato che costi un occhio! Sigh..

      Elena x

      Delete
  3. Me encantó!, ai igual que tu blog, voy a postear este diy en mi blog como diy del dia, quiero ver si me sale uno!!

    Beso!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this post i like it.

    ReplyDelete